Follow by Email

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Sgt. Darrell R. Griffin Jr.


Yesterday, I had lunch with the father of Sgt. Darrell R. Griffin, Jr., who was a 36 year old man who gave his life serving in the Iraq war. I wish that each of you could have the privilege of sitting with Darrell Griffin, Sr. and listening to the heart of a father who lost his best friend and the lessons he learned in this difficult process. I copied an excerpt from a website that I found on the internet. I want to encourage you to Google Sgt. Darrell R. Griffin, Jr. and read about this man's life. Soon to follow is a book written by both of them that is a must read.

Please keep all of our soldiers in your prayers and thank GOD for the freedoms we have here in the United States of America.

I pray for this family and all the families of our military.
Thank you Darrell, Sr. for your words of wisdom yesterday.
Thank you Darrell, Jr. for the greatest sacrifice.


"Staff Sgt.Darrell R. Griffin, Jr.,36, of Alhambra, Calif., died Mar. 21 in Balad, Iraq, from wounds suffered when his unit came in contact with small arms fire during combat operations. Griffin was assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 3rd Infantry Regiment, 3rd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division, Fort Lewis, Wash.

Staff Sgt. Griffin served in the Army National Guard prior to joining
the active Army and reporting to Fort Lewis in July 2001 at which time he was assigned to 1st Brigade, 25th Infantry Division (SBCT). He was deployed to Iraq with the 1st Brigade from October 2004 to September 2005. Griffin was awarded the Bronze Star Medal with Valor for his actions in saving the lives of three US Soldiers as well as two Iraqi Army soldiers injured during battle in Tal Afar, Iraq. This was Staff Sgt. Griffin's second tour in Iraq. He was assigned to 3rd Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division approximately one year ago."

4 comments:

jeff perrin said...

Mr Griffin, Thank you for sharing with Pastor Dudley the story about your Son. Not having your son is something i can't even fathom so write that book and let everyone know about him.....
God bless you and your family.
We cannot forget our Soldiers, we cannot forget what they are doing for you and me... we simply cannot forget
Jeff Perrin

jeff perrin said...

CHURCH, Why is it that we can post 132 times back on 1-7-09... Everyone knows why... but here only one person has responded?????
If it is not gossip and juicy we are not going to post, how about a touch of compassion for this mans son..
Was amazing how people said they were going to support Pastor Dudley and his family...well what about this DEAD SOLDIERS FAMILY???
How about the others coming back from war that we have so easily forgotten.
Thanks
JP

Genny said...

Mr. Griffin,
I can not even fathom the loss of your loved one. I know that he is in better place now and that God is there to protect him and guide him.
Although, I have served the military myself, I was very fortunate enough not to get deployed and I appreciate every moment what our soldiers are doing for us and that we can not forget that they are putting their lives on the line for you and me.
I will continue to pray for our soldiers that God will protect them wherever they are.

Beth Vandenberg said...

I have a copy of the May 07 US News & World Report article about this hero near my desk and read it when I am being selfish or feeling sorry for myself. This man and his family are true American Heroes. I hope to read the book his dad writes. SSGT Darrell Griffin didn't die in vain.
Never Forget,
Beth Vandenberg