Follow by Email

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Joshua Weaver Went to Glory

I know that I have not posted in a while... but for a reason. I was out of town and then I received the news that my dear brother and former Worship Pastor here at Shepherd of the Hills Church, Joshua Weaver, had died and gone on to be with the Lord on January 1, 2008.

Joshua was a Godly man who blessed my life and our church each and every time he led worship. I wanted him to be the first thing I posted about in 2008 and I did NOT want to post until after his funeral, which was today at 11:00 a.m.

The service today was a celebration of his life. We sang a couple of the songs that HE had written and Coach Bobby Brasswell spoke for a few minutes. There was a choir called Voice Of Praises that Joshua used to belong to, and they sang a couple worship songs. I spoke for about 30 minutes, honoring his life, encouraging his wife, Irene, and referenced the scripture in Philippians that says "to live is Christ, but to die is gain." It was a wonderful service, and I am sure that Joshua would have been pleased, and I believe that the Lord was glorified.

I want to encourage you to pray for his wife, Irene, that God would strengthen her each and every day.

Joshua, my dear brother, I know you are in a better place, and I know that you are with Jesus. Thank you for letting your light shine here at Shepherd, and thank you for using your gifts in leading us to worship the Lord with songs of praise. You are so missed, but we are thankful that you are at Jesus' side. We shall meet once again "on that beautiful shore." We miss you, we miss your presence, we miss your voice, we miss your smile, and we miss your worship.

In love,
Pastor Dudley

6 comments:

Caleb Kaltenbach said...

Joshua Weaver took me to my first and only basketball game at Staples Center-- WNBA Sparks. I will miss him a lot. He was a good friend, and an even better family man.

Jamila said...

I am Joshua's younger daughter, Jamila. He was always and will always be my "daddy" (and I his "Jams") and I loved him very, very much. I ask that the church also pray for me and my sister Kim, as we too have suffered a special and great loss. We did not have the opportunity to spend as much time with him as desired, as we both live in other states, so this loss is very complex for us as well. I very much regret that I was not able to attend the service with his S.O.T.H. family, but I rest assured knowing that he was loved, cherished and honored by so many wonderful people. Thank you for taking care of Daddy, for that I am humbly and eternally grateful.

There are no words to express how much I will miss my father. But I am so blessed. I have always mused, if I want to see my dad I just have to look at my own hands, knees and feet; they are just like his! So he is still with me, as he is still with all of you in love and spirit.

Dawn Almudarris said...

I remember right after Sept. 11th I was in search of a church. I prayed for God to help me find the right one that would speak to my heart. I went to a few and then God led me to Shepherd of the hills. I remember when I first walked in and I saw and heard Joshua, I knew God led me to the right place. I felt his love for God and was touched. His worship gave you the freedom to worship with all your heart, different than any other worship I have ever felt as a child in church. I thank god I had the oppurtunity to meet him and his wife. I pray for her and his family. I prayed for him every day when he became ill. I know he is with Jesus, and looking down on us. Thank you Joshua for touching my life. You are truly missed. Dawn Almudarris

Ava said...

Well first off I want to start off with a "Thank You". I really appreciate all that was said about this extraordinary man. My name is Ava and I am one of the many nieces’ of Joshua. If my uncle were here right now he would be extremely appreciative of all that has been done for him and my dear Aunt Irene. My Uncle had to fight through so much pain that it was incredible to see him continue his great work ethic. He was known for [always] brightening up someone's day. At least he always did for me! He once told me that no matter what happens, Jesus would always be there and things would get better. That the sun would shine after the storm because it always does. Even though I didn't get to spend as much time with him as I would’ve like to the little time that we did share together will never be forgotten. I just hope he is resting now and has no worries. Thank You all for everything that has been done for my uncle and aunt. Joshua Weaver will always be with us all within our memories and in spirit.
Sincerely,
Ava Gardner

Preta said...

Thank you so very much for this story on Pastor Weaver, as I'm sitting here watching his interview with David Chagall on Mr. Chagall's program, "The Last Hour", here in Brooklyn, New York (Mr. Chagall has NO idea just how many people he's helped us to come to know by presenting his program here in New York City.). Thanks once again for this article.

Jo said...

I think of Joshua when I hear certain praise and worship songs he introduced to the choir. He brought something special to the rehearsals and every Sunday morning. I still remember talking to him in length in his office one day about a number of topics. I really miss him and his talent. He is part of a much larger choir now.