Follow by Email

Monday, August 13, 2007

Fishers of Men



Pastor Tim and I made it home safe and sound, and we truly had one of the best times ever. We were actually able to go fishing one morning for four hours. We were on the Rogue River in Oregon, and our guide's name is Allen Metcalf.

Tim caught the first fish.... but he held it like a banjo. This picture still makes me chuckle... Then the Lord blessed me with a large King Salmon. We were going to put it back in the river, but the guide has two widows that he provides fish to, and so the fish you see in the picture above was given to one of those two widows. That was fun knowing that we had helped someone.

I always think of the time when Jesus called the disciples to be FISHERS of MEN. We spend so much effort, and think nothing of it, on catching fish... But will we spend as much effort and time reaching LOST souls for Jesus? I hope so... I would hope that we would seek and save the lost MORE than anything else we do.

One more bit of information.... Ask Timbo what he did with the flashlight and the fish.... I'll never tell.....

2 comments:

sam said...

wow...those are some crazy big fish Pastor D. Looks like you guys truly had fun together.

Dru Morgan said...

I am finding the cards printed up with the Ten Commandments and Shepherd's contact information such a blessing. We went out to the Sherman Oaks Galleria last night "fishing for men" and had about 40 conversations. There are usually kids hanging out at any mall, but last night we saw a bunch of adults waiting for a bus across the street. I walked over there and started handing out the cards. People looked puzzled and asked what it was? I said, "Great, I'm glad you asked."

On one of the conversations, I took one young lady through the commandments and showed her when God's Law is used properly as a mirror to examine ourselves, she was in big trouble come Judgment Day. She told me, "Yep, that's what my mom says too." Well, it turns out she was really concerned, so I asked her if her mom had told her anything about repentance and faith in Jesus Christ as the only way to make peace between her and God. She told me that she really needed to consider this, thanked me for taking the time to talk to her, and headed off for her bus. I reminded her that if she needed someone to pray with her, there is a phone number on the back of the card I gave her.

Imagine 6000 Shepherd members reaching out to the whole Valley. The Lord is Good!