Follow by Email

Friday, July 27, 2007

The Story of the Barong Tagalog

About a year ago, someone in the church made me a shirt that is worn over in the Philippines, called a “barong tagalog.” I decided to wear it for the first time to preach in our worship services a few weeks ago, and many of our Filipino families recognized the shirt as one customarily worn in their culture.

After preaching at all our services in Porter Ranch, I made the journey to our Westside Shepherd of the Hills campus to preach. At the end, I was outside shaking hands and greeting people, when a Filipino woman came up to me and asked if I would be willing to take a photo with her and her family. I said, “Sure. Why not?” I assumed it would be just a few people. Little did I know that we have such a large Filipino community on the Westside. On person after the other joined the group to take the photo and what resulted was the picture above of this beautiful family.

This is another example of the diversity of our church and God enabling us to reach people of all backgrounds in this city of Los Angeles. The greatest honor is that they included me and Pastor Danny Furukawa in their family photo. It is indeed a very humble thing to serve as the pastor of so many wonderful people!

5 comments:

Vanessa said...

That is so much fun :)

Aalegre said...

The bariong suits you, pastor! While getting our donus and coffee that morning, the Filipino community at SOTH was abuzz with, "Dudley's in a barong!" talk. 99% of them aked the same question: HOW DID THEY FIND A BARONG HIS SIZE? given that the average Filipino is about a foot shorter than you!

Aalegre said...

The barong suits you, Pastor! While having our donuts and coffee that morning, the Filipino community at SOTH was abuzz with "Dudley's in a barong!" talk. 99% of them asked the same question: HOW DID THEY FIND A BARONG HIS SIZE? ...given that the average Filipino is about a foot shorter than you!

Jaycee said...

I was in church early that morning, as always, coz I always wanted to sit in the 5th row middle isle side. My friend and myself are having donut, when she noticed the Pastor wearing the Barong Tagalog...that made me soooooooooooooo HAPPY...I was the one who gave that. I went back to the Philippines right after I got my green card, that was October 2006 a week after the DAY OF PRAYER & FASTING. That day was ONE OF THE BEST TIME OF MY LIFE....I was soooooo BLESSED that I wanted to THANK Pastor Dudley , so I thought of giving him something from my country...and I thought of the barong.......so I talked to Carla if I can borrow one of his shirt to be used as patern....she said she will ask the Pastor ....and she gave me the green shirt. :)).

Dudley Rutherford said...

Thank you JAYCEE,,,, I love wearing my Barong.... That was a very nice gift from a very nice person..... Keep sitting on that 5th row and let your light keep shining brightly for Jesus!!

Pastor Dudley