Follow by Email

Sunday, February 04, 2007

Oasis, The Super Bowl and Dr. Scott Bauer


My dad was preaching this morning, and I attended a church in Hollywood called Oasis. The minister, Philip Wagner, has built a dynamic church that is truly impacting L.A. and our world. God is using this church to be a light in an area that is in desperate need of salvation. Philip, may God continue to bless you, your life, and your ministry.

Before church, I went to the cemetery to visit the grave of my dear friend, Dr. Scott Bauer. Scott was the Sr. Pastor of Church on the Way until the Lord called him heavenward a few years ago.
I spent about an hour there, cleaned his marker, and sat down and wrote him a letter. Today is Super Bowl Sunday, but in my heart, as I sat there and cried, missing my co-laborer in Jesus Christ, the game was irrelevant to me. You see, there is NO GAME as important as things of the eternal nature. I don't think the Lord minds if we attend a few games here and there, as long as they do not become an idol to us.

This morning, as I was praying and looking across the vast cemetery, it was such a vivid reminder that all of us will one day pass from this life into the next. We need to live every day seeking to please God in every way, and the things that truly matter are the things that are eternal.

I'm so thankful that Scott led his life in such a way that the eternal was a priority to him. He sought to instill those values into everyone he came in contact with.

Scott, thank you, my friend, for reminding me in life and in death to serve Jesus with all of my heart.

I love you, my brother...

5 comments:

Sal Pizzo said...

Pastor Dudley,

You are so right that the "games" aren't very important in Our Lord's grand plan. But how about Tony Dungy's comments after the game! Pointing out that both Super Bowl coaches are Christians. What a wonderful proclamation for the Kingdom Of Our Lord with the whole world watching.

Kristie said...

Today my family and I did not go to WSOTH because we were at Church on the Way saying goodbye to the church that we have called home for the last seven years. The move to WSOTH has been hard on my youngest son as TCOTW is the only church he has ever known.

I commented to my son's Youth/Children's Pastor that the first time I ever saw Pastor Dudley was at Pastor Scott's memorial service. I remember you told a story of seeing Scott in his car at an intersection in the valley and you ran over to the car to give encouragement to your friend and fellow warrior for the Lord. You talked about how both of you felt so deeply that Los Angeles belonged to the Lord and how you were both going to stand in the gap for the souls of this city. I was impressed by your respect and love for Scott.

It is so obvious to me that the Lord has called my family to WSOTH for a reason - today as I wrote out my tithe check I used my very last offering envelope for Church on the Way. This evening as I checked your blog I find a picture Scott's grave marker. These things are all connected. I feel so very blessed to have found a church on this side of the hill to call home. The Lord has shown us where we need to be right now. The pain of leaving Church on the Way is lessened by the connection that you have to Pastor Scott.

Thank you for your devotion to our city and for your fierce and unwavering love for our Lord.

Kristie

Motu said...

Dear Pastor Dudley,
What a small world this is. I grew up at TCOTW, through my Jr high/high school and college years. I played bass in the worship team, so I will always remember looking up at Pastors Hayford and Bauer. My fiance and I then moved to Oasis, where we were married by Pastor Philip and was very involved there for many years until recently when we felt the calling to be more involved with our community, the north valley. Where 2 weeks ago, I became an official member of Shepherd. All that to say I have been so blessed by the best of the best. And my life has been enriched beyond measure. I would like to thank you and all the pastors out there for being so dedicated in what you do. This world is a better place because of you all!

chilly said...

I've been a long time reader - just a note to say I appreciate your heart, passion & ministry. You commitment to God's work combined with your love for your family & friends reveals a healthy balance. Awesome!

I'm a church planter & youth speaker -- if I ever get to the left coast, I'll be sure to visit. Thanks! Chilly

SK said...

Great tribute to Scott Bauer, Pastor Dudley. Thank you for posting this.