Follow by Email

Thursday, November 30, 2006

A Challenge for Dallas



My son, "Sir Dallas James Rutherford," had a tough day today. He is a junior at Campbell Hall High School in Studio City, and he's been having some problems with his left knee. After getting some x-rays and an MRI, the doctor informed us that he has a fractured patella. He will be out of basketball for six to eight weeks.

Now for a young man who loves to play basketball, this was NOT good news. He will basically be missing most of his junior year, but hopefully he'll be able to make it back towards the end of the season. I checked my phone during a break in the middle of my jury trial and it was heart wrenching listening to my son give me this news. Dallas is a fish out of water if he's not on the court playing a little basketball.

We are doing our best to let him know that God has a plan and that there are a lot of good things that could come of this.

Please keep Dallas in your prayers. He is struggling to discern what God wants for his life. He has been trying his best to honor the Lord recently. God often shapes us through some difficult times and I'm praying that God would do just that. I've watched Dallas play basketball many, many times and you can see the joy in him as he runs and competes. I sometimes think of the OLD movie, Chariots of Fire, where God used Eric Liddell to compete in the 1924 Olympic games to honor God. There is such a memorable quote in that movie from Eric. He said, "I believe that God made me for a purpose, but He also made me fast. And when I run, I feel His pleasure." I'm not sure Dallas has ever totally figured this out, but I do believe he's at least thinking about it. So hopefully, this will be a time where he can reflect on how to honor God with his life.
I want to thank, in advance, those of you who will keep him in your prayers. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

4 comments:

Dirk said...

As a fellow parent of a Campbell Hall athlete, also a junior, albeit not a b'baller, I understand how both you and your son are feeling, and he will be in our prayers.

Chris Ray said...

In playing with and against Dallas on Monday nights, I know what a fierce competitor he is, so I'm certain this news is tough. However, this is but a spoke on the wheel of trials in life, and this to shall pass. As soon as I read this news I was reminded of Romans 8:28:
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

Please let Dallas know I will praying for his recovery, as well as for the understanding of what God is perfecting in him during this downtime.

Fred Blattner said...

My son is in 8th grade and is preparing to play high school hoops next year at ECR. A couple of years ago, when we first came to SOTH, he attended the FCA Camp run by Coach Haliday, and I volunteered there. What a blessing for both of us! It was there he first got the idea that he could please God by playing basketball. We have since shown him Chariots of Fire. I am praying he will learn how he can please God with his life, just as we are praying for you son.
Bless you Preacher.
Fred Blattner

Sophia Carter said...

I do realize that nothing is going to change what you're going through, no matter what anyone says. No one knows the good Lord's plan for you through this experience.

Me being a mother of a fifteen year old daughter I can't imagine having to deal with this situation, but if it would occur, I would relate to the good Lord's trust and the experience that I had in my late teens. I had a severe ski accident to my right knee and it left me delayed from my first year to enter into USC. During my theraputic trial, I felt strongly that the good Lord turned my path to work with disabled children. I couldn't understand where my life was headed, but when I turned to focusing on the Lord's guidance, He led me to learn how to be more compassionate. And from this experience, it made me become a better nurse.

With all sincerity, Dallas will be in our prayers.


Sophia Carter